Ultrarunner fighting Atrial Fibrilation (AF)

This blog has pretty much always been about running ultras, mostly Hardrock. It still is but now it is also about running after AFib. I was forced to miss Hardrock in 2011 due to the onset of AF but my long term goal was to get back to running milers. And hopefully help any other runners with AF who stumble upon this site. I never made it into Hardrock in 2012, or 2013, or 2014. I didn't have a qualifier for 2015. I ran Fatdog in Canada instead. That was tough. I finished my 4th Hardrock in 2016 and now I'm back to try for the magical number 5.

If you want the history of my AF the heart problems all started back on May 25 2011: http://howmanysleeps.blogspot.com/2011/05/out-of-hardrock.html

Monday, January 28, 2008

Breaking in the Highlanders

After a slow couple hours around the 1/2 mara course last night with
W, I headed out to the Ironbark Basin for some trail running today.
It was too hot for the dogs so ran solo. Had the new Montrails on:
Highlanders. Not bad. I stashed the camelbak at the top of the
Jarosite track to give them a good test on the down hill (bit hard to
go full tilt with 5kgs on the back). Went hard over some really
tricky steep technical stuff and they hung in there. They are low
profile so you can really feel the trail. And great traction. I jog/
walked back up and did it again it was so much fun. Gave a litle
knowing nod of approval and went back up to collect the pack. Did 3
1/2 hours straight out of the box with no problems. A little narrow
in the toe box put a little pressure on the little toes (worse
because the Injinjis spread the toes) but not enough to worry about.
Will be perfect for 6' and Maroondah. Wouldn't use them for anything
longer because of the lack of protection and support. They will be my
new short course racing runner. Had a great run. The fatigue from C2K
is slowly leaving the legs but the glutes are still really tight.
Must get another massage: ouch!

No comments: