Ultrarunner fighting Atrial Fibrilation (AF)

This blog has pretty much always been about running ultras, mostly Hardrock. It still is but now it is also about running after AFib. I was forced to miss Hardrock in 2011 due to the onset of AF but my long term goal was to get back to running milers. And hopefully help any other runners with AF who stumble upon this site. I never made it into Hardrock in 2012, or 2013, or 2014. I didn't have a qualifier for 2015. I ran Fatdog in Canada instead. That was tough. I finished my 4th Hardrock in 2016 and now I'm back to try for the magical number 5.

If you want the history of my AF the heart problems all started back on May 25 2011: http://howmanysleeps.blogspot.com/2011/05/out-of-hardrock.html

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Only 3 more sleeps

Tuesday 7th July.

Only 3 more sleeps. Went out for a very easy 5 miles to the river crossing today. Still need to make a final call on which shoes to start in but will be sending a back-up pair to Ouray just in case. Registration is tomorrow. The 'Hardrock' has been moved to the start-finish line outside the gym.

I feel good. A little nervous. I have had a very solid build-up, putting together my most consistent training mileage ever. I have been out on the course and put in many hours and miles on the actual trail. I am not thinking too much about a time goal. My primary objective is just to finish. And I would like to get to Grouse before it gets dark. If I do that I should be in good shape for the night. Then the race really begins in earnest when the sun comes up on the second day.

My mantra has been to respect the course, respect the distance and respect the altitude. If I do that I feel I stand a good chance of completing the counter clockwise course and being a true Hardrocker!

2 comments:

San said...

Best if luck Whippet. I will be following your progress. Run well!

Anonymous said...

great job Andy!

John