Ultrarunner fighting Atrial Fibrilation (AF)

This blog has pretty much always been about running ultras, mostly Hardrock. It still is but now it is also about running after AFib. I was forced to miss Hardrock in 2011 due to the onset of AF but my long term goal was to get back to running milers. And hopefully help any other runners with AF who stumble upon this site. I never made it into Hardrock in 2012, or 2013, or 2014. I didn't have a qualifier for 2015. I ran Fatdog in Canada instead. That was tough. I finished my 4th Hardrock in 2016 and now I'm back to try for the magical number 5.

If you want the history of my AF the heart problems all started back on May 25 2011: http://howmanysleeps.blogspot.com/2011/05/out-of-hardrock.html

Thursday, July 08, 2010

Day 15: Monday 5th

Into taper mode now. I have a couple of underlying niggles that will benefit from a few days rest. Spud and I took trip over to Durango for last minute supplies (and lunch at the fantastic Himalayan restaurant). We went for an easy short 'run' along the first couple of miles of the course. Just climbing up the hill to the Miner's Shrine that overlooks Silverton reminded us that we should be walking even at the start of the race. It also put into perspective the pace Blake Wood set, sprinting off at the start of the 5km race despite going uphill (sub 20min 5km at 9,300ft!). John Beard also ran a blinder in the 10km being 41+ something minutes. There are some really fit and well acclimated people here.

Past the Miner's Shrine we followed the road down to the Highway where we turned sharply onto a bench that apparently used to be a railway bed. Which means it should be flat. Well by HR standards it probably is. But it does undulate through the trees and scrapes across a huge red scree slope.

We turned around at the turn-off that drops down to the Hwy. We could see the fixed line way up above the creek which was uncharacteristically low. A gentle jog back and time to kick back until Friday. About 4miles easy.

No comments: